Water can be absolutely devastating to a home and cost thousands of dollars in damages. In the United States, 98% of homes with basements will experience some form of water damage at least once. Because it’s almost impossible to predict the weather, home waterproofing Johnson City TN is an important action to take to protect your investment. There are several reasons to waterproof your home that many people do not consider.
- Health BenefitsWhen water permeates the walls in your home, mold can start forming within a day or 2. When an area is left untreated, this mold can quickly spread and sometimes lead to severe health issues like breathing problems. This is especially important to consider if you or a family suffer from a condition like asthma.
- Basement FloorsThe floor of your basement generally isn’t considered to be a part of your home’s foundation. Due to this, it is usually only a relatively thin layer of concrete over dirt. When cracks form in the floor due to pressure, water can seep into your basement and create standing water that can cause further damage to the home.
- Your Home’s Structural IntegrityWhen the soil around your home is moist, it can seep into your foundation through the edges and joints. Unfortunately, this is sometimes difficult to notice until it has already caused a significant amount of damage. Some of the signs of damage can be cracks in the foundation of bowing walls. The longer these problems are left unrepaired, the costlier they can be to repair.
- Sump Pump FailureWhile most basements are equipped with a sump pump, they can sometimes fail and leave your basement vulnerable to flooding. Sump pumps are only designed to last around 10 to 15 years and sometimes less if they aren’t properly maintained or if they are poorly made. If a sump pump stops working or is overwhelmed, not all water can be removed from the basement. By waterproofing your home, you can prevent this water from entering in the first place.
- Electricity UseThese days, everyone is looking for ways to lessen their electricity consumption and waterproofing your home is a great way to do so. When the air in your home contains a large amount of moisture, it becomes harder to cool and heat. Even with an appliance like a dehumidifier in your basement, waterproofing your home will lead to a much lower amount of humidity in the air.
- Flooding Risks
A flooded basement can cost a lot of money even if it’s just an inch or two. While you may only consider the costs of repairing your home, it’s also important to think about just how many items you may have stored in your basement. Even the items that were not touched by the flood water can still be damaged in this incident because of the damage from humidity or risks of electrical fires due to water.